Tuesday, February 21, 2012

I HEART KETOSIS DIETS

Photo Credit Tabasco


So if you've been following along with me, my blog, or you are anyone within earshot of my shouting voice- you will know that I am on a ketosis diet that directly correlates with my cardio workout routine. I <3 the ketosis diet and I think this is the only diet that I could ever stick to in life.

I found out about the ketosis diet as I started this weight loss process last month. I originally had hopped on the Dukan diet and had just completed my induction phase, but then shit started to get complicated. I could only have 1 day with vegetables and then the next day only protein. The next day all vegetables, then yet again all protein. The routine sucked and frankly, it sucked even more making dinner for my boyfriend with all kinds of yummy vegetables, but I couldnt have any because I was on my off day.

Needless to say, that ish wasn't going to fly, so I needed to make some adjustments. I began to do some research about the Dukan diet and found an article comparing all of the low carb diets and how they are each a variant of ketosis. I hadn't heard of ketosis before and looked it up. Essentially, ketosis is a process in which the body converts fat into energy instead of carbohydrates. By eating low carbohydrates, your body switches gears and burns fat instead because there aren't enough carbs in your system to utilize them as an energy source. That's it. No gimmicks. No off days. No bullshit. Just eat low enough in carbohydrates to stay in ketosis, and you'll burn fat. End of discussion.

Now the hard part is figuring out how many carbs you can eat without kicking yourself out of ketosis. Well, there isn't a concrete number. It's different for everybody. For ME and ME ONLY, I can eat about 30 carbs a day without completely kicking myself out of ketosis. And I use those 30 carbs wherever I please. If I only eat protein for breakfast, and protein for lunch, for dinner Ive got a banging salad with tons of salad dressing eggs, and whatever my heart desires...as long as its under 30 carbs a day.

This is just simpler than everything else. No rules to follow. No days on or off. Just stay under 30 carbs and I'm golden.  My first week I dropped 8 lbs. I know for a fact it was water, but I couldn't care less! On average- I'm dropping about 2 lbs a week with this and Zumba 5 times a week.

Typically my meal choices include ALOT OF SAUSAGE , cheese, ham, eggs, and neckbones. I love meat. I pick with what meals I'll attach my vegetables to. At this point,however, I'm consuming little to no fruit. I am taking 1 a day vitamins to supplement that. Eventually, I'd like to be able to get to a point where I can enjoy fruit juice again, but for now- I'd be willing to give that up-and a hell of alot more- to keep this 2lbs a week weight loss going.

I do need to mention that you need to drink at least 2 liters of water a day to flush the ketones out of your system. All this protein can be hard on your kidneys so increasing your water intake is essential! I cant stress that enough!

No comments:

Post a Comment